Subject: Re: bug#50067: Context menus

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:42:44 +0100

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 09:29:47PM +0200, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> 20 aug. 2021 kl. 19.59 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> 
> > OK, but where in that patch is the NS-specific "Select" title that
> > should be removed?
> 
> I'm not Juri, but the following patch removes the default "Select"
> title used by the NS port. Not sure why it was ever added -- perhaps
> something Gnustep-specific? Works well with Cocoa in any case.

GNUstep, and I believe NEXTstep and old school macOS, allows you to
"tear off" menus and leave them on screen as sort of custom toolbars.
Hence the title on each menu.

Emacs doesn't support this with the main menus (it was the source of a
crash, so I removed it), but I don't know if it's something we should
support. I suspect not because once Emacs updates the menus it
probably can't handle clicks on old ones.
-- 
Alan Third