Subject: Re: bug#50061: 28.0.50; Hang caused by savehist-save when saving kill ring with large amount of data from nxml-mode buffer

From: Matt Beshara <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 20:38:04 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Specifically, it's the 'rng-state' property on the "</p>" that 
> ends a
> paragraph.  It's a massive recursive data structure, and 
> printing it
> takes a lot of memory.  Maybe nXML could arrange for these 
> properties
> to be removed when copying to the kill-ring, but would it get in 
> the
> way if you want to paste into an XML buffer?

I haven’t had time to look at the code yet, so I’m not sure what 
information the ‘rng-state’ property contains, and whether it 
would cause any problems (to me) for it to be removed when copied. 
That said, personally, I don’t think there could be any side 
effect of removing that property from copied XML which would be 
more disruptive than savehist causing Emacs to hang completely 
when trying to save my kill ring.  Also, would nXML not be able to 
recreate any missing data it needed from the ‘rng-state’ property 
if the plain text of the XML was then pasted into an nXML buffer 
again?