Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add bgfx

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 14:52:15 +0200

Hi,

Am Montag, den 16.08.2021, 05:42 -0700 schrieb Andy Tai:
> Leo, by "nasty stuff" you meant non-free stuff (I doubt if there is
> any in a graphics library but will check), or you meant the embedded
> packages that shall be reference to other packages in guix (if
> packaged already)?   I think the embedded copies of other stuff may
> have local customization that may make it impossible to simply build
> with the existing packages in guix.
Nasty stuff are not only already existing packages, but also outdated
versions thereof.  If there are heavily customized versions or packages
not yet included in Guix, then those can be left in (but with a
remark!), though in the long term it would be better to make those
packages work with upstream versions rather than require specific
tweaking.

The other thing I already mentioned are binaries, which upstream seems
also aware about, see e.g. 
https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx/commit/caed3f91026bf0e703f1eaf6f622e27b820df86c

Regards