Subject: bug#50042: acknowledged by developer (control message for bug #50042)

From: Simon Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:14:36 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi <at> gnus.org> writes:

> Can you test this, too, to see if I got all the cases right?  That is,
> it shouldn't display anything if you do anything else before the
> suggestion triggers, and it shouldn't inhibit entering other commands,
> and...  er...  no other peculiarities.

I'm using the version of `execute-extended-command` in commit
00a9c50ad7, and everything is behaving as I would expect.

Thanks!

> One thing that is peculiar, but no more than before, is this bit:
>
>                        ;; FIXME: Can be slow.  Cache it maybe?
>                        (setq binding (execute-extended-command--shorter
>                                       (symbol-name function) typed))))
>
> It takes five seconds on my laptop, which means that these suggestion
> arrive five seconds after I did the `M-x'.  But that hasn't changed
> since before these patches.

FWIW, I haven't looked at this -- I'm not sure when it comes into play.
But I guess it's a separate issue.

Thanks again.