Subject: bug#50030: C-M-SPC is not working

From: Pedro Delfino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:25:10 -0300

Hi,

I have been using mark-sexp often because I am working with Common Lisp.
Until now, the binding C-M-SPC has worked out pretty well.

For some reason that I do not understand, the binding has changed. Now,
emacs says mark-sexp is bounded to C-M-@ (which does not really work using
the keyboard, by the way).

This is my humble config file
<https://github.com/pdelfino/my-emacs-config/blob/main/.emacs>. I am not
sure why this has happened. As you see, I have not touched on this specific
point.

I can only use mark-sexp with the `M-x mark-sexp` which is not very handy.
I wish the keybinding worked out.

Is this some side-effect from another modification? Why did this happen?
And how can I fix it?

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Recipe using "emacs -Q"

1 - Create an emacs lisp file, could be .emacs;

2 - Insert any valid s-expression, could be
(load (expand-file-name "~/.quicklisp/slime-helper.el"))

3 - Put the cursor -!- in the beginning of the s-expression
-!-(load (expand-file-name "~/.quicklisp/slime-helper.el"))

4 - Try using `C-M-SPC` or `C-M-@` to achieve mark-sexp. It does NOT work
(and it should work).

5 - Press M-x and execute `mark-sexp` it DOES work. Thus, all the
s-expression is selected.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Information automatically extracted:

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-03-26, modified by Debian built on lcy01-amd64-020
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
<left> is undefined
<up> is undefined
Mark set
Saved text until "dhardt")
       (:li "18 anonymous")))))"
Mark set
Indenting region...done
Undo!
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mEZBk7/emacs-26.3+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-wakatime-mode: t
  wakatime-mode: t
  disable-mouse-global-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  slime-trace-dialog-minor-mode: t
  slime-autodoc-mode: t
  slime-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20210512.1220/slime-tests hides
/home/pedro/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.26.1/slime-tests
~/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20210512.1220/slime-autoloads hides
/home/pedro/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.26.1/slime-autoloads
~/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20210512.1220/slime hides
/home/pedro/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.26.1/slime

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func help-fns radix-tree
winner helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info helm-mode
helm-files filenotify tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete parse-time helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils
helm-types helm-help helm async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async vc-git
diff-mode map cus-edit wid-edit paredit rainbow-delimiters delsel
centeredpoint wakatime-mode disable-mouse wombat-theme wheatgrass-theme
ido cus-start cus-load paren slime-sbcl-exts slime-asdf grep slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations advice
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
derived cl-extra help-mode edmacro kmacro elec-pair lisp-mnt gud apropos
compile etags xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url cl
finder-inf slime-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 586759 22158)
 (symbols 48 41619 4)
 (miscs 40 1760 174)
 (strings 32 125152 3746)
 (string-bytes 1 3499967)
 (vectors 16 59198)
 (vector-slots 8 1067848 18426)
 (floats 8 143 476)
 (intervals 56 2144 0)
 (buffers 992 16))