Subject: bug#500: GTK Emacs stops reacting to keyboard events after cancelling menu by hitting Escape

From: Andrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:55:17 +0400

To reproduce:

0) Make sure you run GTK Emacs and the main menu is on.

1) Click on any main menu item. The drop-down menu with child items
   will appear.

2) Move mouse down so it is over one of the child items (but not
   separator).

3) Hit Escape to cancel the menu. The menu will disappear (it is the
   expected behavior).

4) Press any key. Nothing happens.

5) Click on Emacs buffer. Nothing happens. Emacs looks frozen.

To workaround:

Click on any main menu item and hit Escape *immediately*. Emacs is
back to life.

This bug is minor but may be very frustrating for novice users. I'm
ready to provide any additional info.

Good luck,
Andrey Paramonov

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-04-27 on raven, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs22:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/leim' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ESS Help

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <C-end> <C-up> <left> 
<C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> <left> <C-backspace> 
r a n g e ( t i m e ( <C-right> ) <left> <left> a d 
<backspace> l l d a t a <return> ) <return> <C-up> 
<C-up> ) <return> <f6> <escape> <escape> <escape> <up> 
<up> <backspace> <down> <down> <return> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <backspace> <down> <return> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <backspace> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <backspace> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> C-c C-z <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> ) <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> r o w n a m e s ( <return> <C-up> <left> <left> 
<left> <right> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<return> <C-up> <f6> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <escape> <escape> 
<escape> C-c C-z <C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> <C-backspace> a s . z o o r e g <left> 
<left> C-c C-v <return> C-c C-v a s . z o o r e g <return> 
<f6> <f10> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
History item: 1 [6 times]
History item: 2
History item: 1
History item: 2
History item: 3
History item: 4
History item: 1 [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Loading emacsbug...done
call-interactively: End of buffer