Subject: 27.2; save-mark-and-excursion does not save mark-active

From: Peter Münster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:59:53 +0200

Hi,

It seems, that save-mark-and-excursion does not restore the mark state.

Here is a test function:

(defun my-test-func ()
  "Test if save-mark-and-excursion is working."
  (interactive)
  (with-current-buffer "test-buf"
    (save-mark-and-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (add-face-text-property
       (point) (1+ (point)) (list :background "orange")))))

Test case:
- "emacs -Q"
- evaluate my-test-func
- open a new buffer "test-buf"
- type some characters
- mark a region somewhere
- M-x my-test-func

Result: point is restored, but mark-active is nil.

Kind regards, Peter

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.2

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --with-pop --without-hesiod
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules --enable-autodepend
 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/27.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets --build=x86_64-suse-linux
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
delsel lpr easy-mmode pcase tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44541 7328)
 (symbols 48 5999 1)
 (strings 32 15714 1987)
 (string-bytes 1 506059)
 (vectors 16 9402)
 (vector-slots 8 125772 9350)
 (floats 8 20 43)
 (intervals 56 279 0)
 (buffers 1000 13))

-- 
           Peter