Subject: 27.2; idle-time reset when switching desktop-page

From: Peter Münster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:42:57 +0200

Hello,

Surprised about functions never executing, that I start with
gnus-demon-add-handler and some idle-time, I've checked the idle time of
emacs this way:

while sleep 1; do emacsclient -e '(current-idle-time)'; done

This test has revealed, that the idle time is reset to 0, whenever I
switch a desktop-page. I use FvwmPager with 3x3 pages. Emacs is on page
2-2 and even when emacs is not affected by the page-change (for example
from 1-1 to 1-2), the idle time is reset.

How could I avoid such reset please?

TIA for any hints.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.2

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --with-pop --without-hesiod
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules --enable-autodepend
 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/27.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets --build=x86_64-suse-linux
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pp server time-date
subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib delsel lpr easy-mmode pcase tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45431 8593)
 (symbols 48 6077 1)
 (strings 32 16018 2520)
 (string-bytes 1 520413)
 (vectors 16 9497)
 (vector-slots 8 127010 11274)
 (floats 8 21 52)
 (intervals 56 279 0)
 (buffers 1000 14))

-- 
           Peter