Subject: Re: bug#49995: 28.0.50; EBDB Anniversaries do not appear marked in calendar

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:13:06 -0700

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Otherwise, `ebdb-diary-anniversaries' works the way it does now, for
>> only the diary, or in Org.
>
> Ok, great.
>
>>
>> Maybe, additionally, we provide a `ebdb-export-to-org' command that
>> writes an Org file holding all our anniversaries as headings, with
>> advance notifications implemented as DEADLINE lines with a warning
>> period. [...]
>
> While the idea has some charm, you would loose the speed advantages from
> using a hash table for lookup, right?  Or would Org build and use one
> internally?
>
> Anyway, I think personally I would not want to have a second place for
> anniversaries - unless it would then be beneficial to use only that file
> in the future.

This would just be an alternate way of getting EBDB anniversaries into
your Org agenda. Instead of sticking %%(ebdb-diary-anniversaries)
somewhere in your Org files, EBDB would export a separate Org file
holding its anniversaries as headings, which you would include in the
Agenda. It would only make sense if the user wanted to make lots of
edits to the anniversary entries.

I'm probably just overthinking things!

I've just pushed the changes so far, and released a new version, and now
will work on further customization. I want to implement this for the ID
field as well: I meant to do that quite a while ago, and my own passport
expired because I hadn't yet gotten around to writing the code... :(