Subject: bug#49964: 28.0.50; ERC button to docu, again

From: Emanuel Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:18:33 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> I just wrote about this on
>> gmane.emacs.help/gmane.emacs.erc.general so I'll just reuse
>> that, I think it is clear what I mean :) Keep it up...
>>
>> 2. What is `this-convention' and ‘this‘? I always used
>>    `this-one' - I don't know/remember why, probably I saw
>>    someone else do it - but it seems in the on-line (*) help
>>    ‘this‘ is what happens, indeed even if you use
>>    `the-other-one' [see this example [1]]
>
> What do you mean by `this-convention'? I can't find that
> string in the Emacs tree.

Do

  $ emacs -Q test.el

and type `kill-emacs' and see what happens.

It gets buttonized to the help if used in ERC, I think that's
cool and helpful as well, for example in #emacs.

In the Emacs help tho it gets buttonized/hyperlinked as well
but converted to (respelled as) ‘kill-emacs‘, even if put as
`kill-emacs' in a docstring.

That notation, i.e. ‘kill-emacs‘, however does not get
highlighted/buttonized/hyperlinked in ERC, I don't know if
that is by intent.

Again take a look at the screenshot to see what happens:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/erc-docu-button-again.png

-- 
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal