Subject: bug#49954: 28.0.50; TRAMP: cannot kill child processes: "Forbidden reentrant call of Tramp"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:42:23 +0200

Dima Kogan <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dima,

> Thanks for the explanation. What would be an example of an asynchronous
> process? I have several remote 'M-x shell' buffers and probably some
> dired buffers looking at remote directories. Is each 'M-x shell' child
> an "asynchronous process" for the purposes of this issue?

It is an synchronous process, indeed.

> Does it make sense to you that disabling caching fixes it?
>
> Usually, I can C-c in "M-x shell" just fine. When this bug is triggered,
> though, I cannot C-c in remote M-x shell processes at all: it fails each
> time. Disabling the caching, getting one successful C-c, and re-enabling
> it makes it work that time and in the future. Is this consistent with
> the failure mechanism you're thinking of?

Why do you mess with Tramp's cache? Adding remote-file-error to
debug-ignored-errors, as  I have recommended, shall mask the error
sufficiently.

> Thanks

Best regards, Michael.