Subject: [bug#49946] About migrating support from emacs-tree-sitter to treesit

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 00:00:41 +0000

Hi Luis,

Luis Henrique Gomes Higino <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi guix,
>
> Luis Henrique Gomes Higino <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi guix,
>>
>> I was taking a look at this patch series again and wondering if it
>> could
>> be modified to support the new built in treesit module coming in
>> Emacs 29 instead of emacs-tree-sitter, as the latter recommends using
>> the native integration going forward [1]. Maybe we should leave this
>> to when
>> Emacs 29 is released, but I think working on this in advance could
>> result on it being delivered earlier, which would be great. What do
>> you think Pierre?
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://github.com/emacs-tree-sitter/elisp-tree-sitter/commit/d3eab879e9b0ccc9582113d81a93ad06f3c6bfb1
>>
>> PS: I'm willing to help
>>
>> Regards,
>
> I played around this idea this weekend and I got `treesit' to use the Guix
> installed grammars :) !
>
> First, I applied a patch that added tree-sitter as an input for emacs-next
> [1]. [1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61139
>
> Then, I did the edits below on top of Pierre's latest patch series:

This is super cool, thanks for looking into this! and sorry for replying
so late.  I agree that we should try and get these grammars integrated
into emacs as soon as we can, it's the end goal after all (by that I
mean that I'm not sure the Rust-based emacs module will live on after
emacs 29 is released).

But anyways, it's great that you got it working with minimal changes,
looks like there won't be any blockers :-).

Regarding the patch series, I do have a new version in the pipeline
(fixing style and improving testing) but I'm afraid I've had no time to
work on it in the past month and a half. I should have more time
starting from next weekend. 

Thanks!
Pierre