Subject: [bug#49946] [PATCH v5 27/27] gnu: Add emacs-tree-sitter-langs.

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 15:55:22 +0100

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Pierre Langlois schreef op zo 15-05-2022 om 13:20 [+0100]:
>> I 100% agree that by default we should make the package use Guix
>> libraries, this way it also /just works/.  However, if somebody wants
>> to
>> do things differently, I'm not sure we want to get in the way.  In
>> the
>> end, this isn't so different from letting people use an alternative
>> package manager if they like.  We'd rather people used Guix of course
>> :-).
>
> OK, my proposal to prevent any accidents (what if we misinterpreted
> BUNDLE-VERSION / the semantics change in a future version, and now
> binaries are downloaded by default), not to stop people from choosing
> to do.  Seems a bit risky though (see the bit about future changes in
> semantics).

Ah I see, that's a good point.  I /think/ today we should be able to
catch such things thanks to the tests, if the package decides to
download binaries during testing it'll fail.  But maybe it could, for
some reason, use Guix binaries during testing and then decide to
download its own when running outside of the build environment.

Now I'm conlicted :-), maybe rewriting the build.el file is the safest
option, and maybe if we get bug reports from people who would like to
use their own grammars we could revisit?