Subject: Re: [WIP PATCH v3 00/26] gnu: Add tree-sitter for emacs (and neovim as well?).

From: Luis Henrique Gomes Higino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 15:30:21 -0300

Hi Guix, Hi Pierre,

I apologize for my delay, the last few weeks were quite busy :-/.

Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm sharing it early as a WIP first, as I just noticed the other 
> day
> that Luis also contributed a patches for tree-sitter for 
> neovim[0]. The
> series I have here is quite a lot bigger though so I'm happy to 
> rebase
> it on top of yours, Luis :-). The package I had for tree-sitter 
> looks
> basically the same, I would then move it to a new file with all
> tree-sitter related packages, if you're happy with that.

That's OK by me!

> So I'm wondering, are these tree-sitter grammar packages also 
> useful for
> the neovim package for tree-sitter?

I'm not exactly sure about this. Currently, most Neovim users 
install their grammars through the installer included in 
https://github.com/nvim-treesitter/nvim-treesitter. That ensures 
the user gets the version that is ABI compatible with 
nvim-treesitter. That makes me uncertain if we could use the same 
grammar packages for Neovim and Emacs, at least for now.

> I do wonder if I'm going about it the right way for Guix though, 
> for
> instance I'm wondering if I should rewrite the grammar packages 
> using a
> new custom build system, do people think it would be worth it? 
> That
> could be done as a follow-up of course.

I'm not a very experienced packager myself, but from what I saw in 
your patch, it seems rather unnecessary, as the grammar packages 
are very simple.

-- 
Luis H. Higino