Subject: bug#49932: 28.0.50; Error in GUI frames when xterm-set-window-title is set

From: Knut Anders Hatlen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 23:14:06 +0200

1. Start GUI Emacs with 'emacs -Q'.

2. Evaluate:

  (progn
    (setq xterm-set-window-title t)
    (server-start))

3. In a terminal, run 'emacsclient -t'.

4. Switch to the GUI instance started in 1. Observe that the following
   error is raised:

  Error in post-command-hook (xterm-set-window-title): (error "Device 1
  is not a termcap terminal device")

5. Start a new GUI frame with 'emacsclient -c', and again observe that
   "Device 1 is not a termcap terminal device" is reported.

I believe xterm-set-window-title should not affect GUI frames.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-08-07 built on dell
Repository revision: adab672edb3fad0851a52e3b6ccf3ac31c80b025
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json --with-xml2
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -flto -march=native' LDFLAGS=-flto'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: nn_NO.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode seq cl-loaddefs cl-lib rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv server iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97323 10174)
 (symbols 48 8073 1)
 (strings 32 23185 1925)
 (string-bytes 1 785139)
 (vectors 16 17773)
 (vector-slots 8 349322 14036)
 (floats 8 44 33)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 992 14))