Subject: Re: bug#49869: Revert buffer? Yes/No/Maybe

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:43:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think we need to cater to personal preferences by adding new
> commands.

The `C-x x g' binding is new in Emacs 28, and we can bind it to a
command that we thing is a good one.

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> And second, are you talking only about reverting when there are no
> unsaved changes?  If so, what are the use cases when you need to do
> such a thing, and why?

When a file changes outside of Emacs.  It happens a lot, especially
after doing "git pull".

But...  looking at how Emacs handles this in other similar commands, I'm
not convinced that the `y e s RET' is excessive in `C-x x g': For
instance, if you `C-x C-f M-n RET' (which was the previous way to revert
the buffer (but didn't work reliably because of DWIM)), it'll also ask
you to type `y e s RET' afterwards.

So for user interface consistency, I think it might make sense to leave
`C-x x g' as is -- at least in the default case.  Perhaps there should
be a user option to customise the level of prompting here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no