Subject: bug#49866: 28.0.50; gnus-summary-exit from the transient search buffer giving error

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 18:11:24 +0800

Sorry, I communicated with Eric this morning but failed to copy everyone
else :(

The patch is hiding the problem---note that map-merge (should) handle
nil lists perfectly fine. And indeed it does! Except something loaded in
Eric and Pnakaj's environment makes it fail, which is...odd.

If you try with emacs -Q it works correctly, and it also works correctly
in my environment. When map-merge is working properly Eric's new code
just adds a no-op (and I think obscures the code and hides the real
bug). The real question is how loading whatever it is that is causing
map-merge to fail is, err, doing that. Looking at the map-merge code its
hard to see what has happened, but this seems kind of important to
understand.

Best,
Andy

>>>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

    LI> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Of course, now I have no theory as to why the bug is swallowed
    >> until debugging conditions are triggered. I've attached a patch
    >> that I think solves the root problem, but given my track record
    >> today it should be taken with a grain of salt.

    LI> Te patch looks good to me.

    >> (This doesn't mean I don't still think the `condition-case' in
    >> `nnselect-run' should be removed though!)

    LI> Yes, I think so too.

    LI> -- (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
    LI> bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Andrew Cohen

Director, HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study
Lam Woo Foundation Professor and Chair Professor of Physics

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology