Subject: bug#49864: closed (Re: bug#49864: 28.0.50; Fails to start after "make install")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 06:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#49864: 28.0.50; Fails to start after "make install"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49864: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49864
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49864: 28.0.50; Fails to start after "make install"
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Wilhelm Kirschbaum <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 09:48:29 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Wilhelm Kirschbaum <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:27:06 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> The patch I attached fixes the install issue for me without any other modification. This patch also seems to
> be consistent with other MKDIR_P commands in the Makefile.
> 
>  ### Install native compiled Lisp files.
>  install-eln: lisp
>  ifeq ($(HAVE_NATIVE_COMP),yes)
> - find native-lisp -type d -exec $(MKDIR_P) "$(ELN_DESTDIR){}" \; ; \
> + umask 022; find native-lisp -type d -exec $(MKDIR_P) "$(ELN_DESTDIR){}" \; ; \
>   find native-lisp -type f -exec ${INSTALL_DATA} "{}" "$(ELN_DESTDIR){}" \;

Thanks, I installed such a change, and I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: 28.0.50; Fails to start after "make install"
From: Wilhelm Kirschbaum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:42:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs starts normally when I run it directly from the /src folder, but
fails to start when starting from the installation directory
"/usr/local/bin/emacs"

This only happens with native-compilation.

Steps I followed:
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git --depth 1
cd emacs
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation
sudo make install
src/emacs -Q -> works as expected
emacs -Q ->
Error using execdir
/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/:
emacs:
/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/../native-lisp/28.0.50-864bf4e5/preloaded/window-0d1b8b93-dcb2375f.eln:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30,
cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-08-03 built on iloveyou
Repository revision: 88577aed3a17109bb7b13871f185133641c25e73
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67036 9106)
 (symbols 48 6615 0)
 (strings 32 19283 1673)
 (string-bytes 1 655196)
 (vectors 16 13450)
 (vector-slots 8 287066 12589)
 (floats 8 22 31)
 (intervals 56 199 0)
 (buffers 992 10))