Subject: [bug#49859] [PATCH 3/6] gnu: Remove adb and fastboot.

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:11:53 +0300

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 12:29:10PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 11:21:20PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 10:58:46PM -0400, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> > > There are more recent versions, unfortunately this is the latest version we can support. Later versions use a different build system, soong, that require much more work. I have a wip for that, but it will need more work to be really useful and be able to build adb and fastboot.
> > 
> > I see. Well, the packages could be moved to guix-past for now. Let's
> > wait and see what others have to say.
> 
> I got more feedback on #guix IRC that we should not remove adb /
> fastboot, because it's an important tool for freeing Android
> smartphones.
> 
> Is there a reason we shouldn't use guix-past to hold these packages?
> 

I'm in favor of moving openssl-1.0 to guix-past, it's the perfect type
of package to go there. Upstream has declared it dead and no one is
going to touch it. Similar to how qt-4 moved there a few months ago.

ADB and fastboot are still useful, and (ignoring some networking options
they apparently have) are localhost only. I'd rather leave them both for
now with an eye to shoehorning in an updated version somehow, hiding
openssl-1.0, and adding a note to remove it as soon as nothing needs it
anymore.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted