Subject: bug#49855: Problem with GNU ELPA build of :core package (Re: [GNU ELPA] So-Long version 1.1)

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 12:39:33 +1200

On 2021-08-04 12:17, Phil Sainty wrote:
> Could someone (Stefan?) fix the ELPA version, and see if you can
> figure out what went awry here?

I now see that it specifically used the commit in which the
version number changed, and ignored everything which followed,
so I understand what happened now.

That didn't gel very well with my workflow (which was to bump
the version before adding new functionality, and then add the
new features (associating each one with the new version as I
went), and finally merge the branch for the completed release).

I'm not sure if ELPA could be made to recognise that scenario,
or if I'll need to ensure that the final commit always includes
a version bump.

I do understand that it's useful to be able to push changes
without changing the version on ELPA, so that you only create
a new release at the time you intend to, so I'm not asking for
every commit to create a new build; just wondering whether it's
possible to account for the branch merge scenario, where the
merge commit was intended to be the version bump commit.

In the meantime I guess I should commit this change to the
Emacs master branch?

-;; Version: 1.1
+;; Version: 1.1.1

-Phil