Subject: bug#49855: Problem with GNU ELPA build of :core package (Re: [GNU ELPA] So-Long version 1.1)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 18:33:18 -0400

> If in addition to that information, it also showed the commit hash and
> message which was used to build the release, I would have immediately
> seen that I'd messed up.  Something like:
>
>> Build details:
>> Commit 359a8e4eda047b7dcb7e64faff7f8eaacf5d937c
>> ; * lisp/so-long.el: Bump to version 1.1

Makes sense and sounds good.

> I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to include such details in that
> particular notification, or if it would be better to send a separate
> message to the maintainer;

I think we can keep it as a single message.
We could add something giving the commit id, the date of the commit
(personally, commit ids don't speak to me, but the commit date
might tip me off), and the first line of the commit message.
Seems short enough that it can fit before the NEWS without bothering
those readers who don't care about it.

Do you think you can come up with a patch against `elpa-admin.el`
doing that?

        Stefan