Subject: bug#49850: closed (Re: bug#49850: Crosscompiling gzip for musl-based system with clang)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 05:48:03 +0000

Your bug report

#49850: Crosscompiling gzip for musl-based system with clang

which was filed against the gzip package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49850: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49850
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49850: Crosscompiling gzip for musl-based system with clang
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Caleb Heydon <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 21:46:58 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

No further comment on this old bug report, so I'm taking the liberty of 
closing it.

Subject: Crosscompiling gzip for musl-based system with clang
From: Caleb Heydon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 12:43:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I have been attempting to crosscompile gzip for a linux system that uses
the musl libc using clang, and I have come across an issue while
attempting to configure gzip.

I set CC="cross-clang", and run ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64.
cross-clang is just a wrapper script that sets the sysroot for
crosscompiling.  The configuration fails, and I get the following error:

checking how cross-clang reports undeclared, standard C functions...
configure: error: in `/home/user/Desktop/cross-compiling/build/gzip/gzip':
configure: error: cannot detect from compiler exit status or warnings

I have used a similar setup to successfully crosscompile many other pieces
of software, so I am not entirely sure why gzip is not configuring.  Any
suggestions for getting around the issue or suggested software changes
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Caleb Heydon