Subject: Re: bug#49843: 28.0.50; Error in docstring after using define-globalized-minor-mode

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 20:37:50 +1200

On 2021-08-03 16:51, [email-masked] wrote:
> It looks like the docstring could just copy the explanation about
> behavior when calling from lisp from the `define-minor-mode'
> docstring.

I would use the more succinct explanation that `define-minor-mode'
generates (by default) for the docstring of the mode being defined.
E.g.:

"If called interactively, enable Eldoc mode if ARG is positive, and
disable it if ARG is zero or negative.  If called from Lisp, also
enable the mode if ARG is omitted or nil, and toggle it if ARG is
`toggle'; disable the mode otherwise."

This comes from the format variable `easy-mmode--arg-docstring'.

> (I am not sure if the `define-globalized-minor-mode' macro
> adds any logic for the behavior for (de)activating the global
> mode.

`define-globalized-minor-mode' uses `define-minor-mode' to define
the global mode, so there's no unusual behaviour.

> I think it only adds logic for the behavior i.c.w. its non-global
> mode, for which the explanation is not clear to me also b.t.w., but
> I am still trying to track down how that behaves exactly).

Which aspects are you unsure of?