Subject: Re: bug#49836: Support ripgrep in semantic-symref-tool-grep

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:09:01 -0700

On 9/19/2021 5:14 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 19.09.2021 13:11, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
>> even if the goals are slightly different
> 
> Are the goals different?

I think in the long run, the goals are very much the same. But in the 
short run, my goal with urgrep was just to make something that would 
work like `rgrep', but support multiple tools. There are already a 
multitude of Emacs packages that provide `rgrep'-like functionality for 
a particular tool, but I wanted something that worked (almost) the same 
no matter what happens to be installed on the system.

> I'm not sure it's flexible enough to be used in both 
> xref-matches-in-files and semantic/symref (yet?), but when I tried to 
> imagine a package that would, it looked fairly similar.

If there are any (useful) commands that can't be generated with 
`urgrep-command', but which most grep-like tools support, I definitely 
want to add that capability. The current set of options is really just 
what I use semi-regularly, so there's bound to be stuff I missed, 
especially regarding semantic/symref.

That said, I don't want to slow things down too much in this bug. Maybe 
for Emacs 29 though, it would make sense to put (parts of?) urgrep into 
Emacs, since a unified solution would probably be helpful. I'll try to 
find some time to post a message to emacs-devel to discuss this and get 
some feedback.