Subject: 28.0.50; python-shell-send functions show no output

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 16:32:25 +0200

M-x run-python
type e.g.: 5+5
then send using `C-c C-c`

The comint shows no output. Same for ipython comint.
This is due to the 'coding cookie' in the `python-shell-send-...`
commands (more exactly in `python-shell-buffer-substring`).

When using e.g. comint-simple-send, things work correctly.
It would be great if sending the 'coding cookie' (and the addtional
line
sent for the case of a trace) could be made optional.

Here is some package where @fernandomayer fixes it for ipython.
(But it is equally problematic for default python)

This bug has probably been mentioned somewhere but I could not quickly
find any mention of it on in the bug archive or even on google.
So at least it has been reported now.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.25, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-02-18 built on daniel-fedora
Repository revision: 185121da6978553d538d37d6d0e67dc52e13311f
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map cl-macs text-property-search time-date subr-x
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt
cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-
hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face pcase macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-
readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-
toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70942 10482)
 (symbols 48 6768 0)
 (strings 32 19439 1610)
 (string-bytes 1 667085)
 (vectors 16 12671)
 (vector-slots 8 278285 13081)
 (floats 8 24 53)
 (intervals 56 203 0)
 (buffers 992 11))