Subject: bug#49822: 28.0.50; python-shell-send functions show no output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 16:09:17 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm struggling a bit on how this could be integrated with python.el.
> Just dropping these new commands there would be easy, but not ideal; one
> should probably integrate more tightly with the existing python-shell
> commands, say by introducing a 'python-sell-echo-result' defcustom.  But
> then I feel tempted to change various other things I don't like about
> the Python shell, in particular the use of temporary files (as opposed
> to escaped strings) to transfer pieces of code, which is very slow via
> Tramp.

If you could fix this (i.e., not use temporary files), that would be
very nice.

> By the way, I also dislike how the 'python-shell-send-*' functions
> don't even print a newline on the shell buffer, so that you see
>     ">>> >>> >>>"
> instead of
>     ">>>\n>>>\n>>>"
> after calling them thrice.  This means (1) a result may be printed right
> next to the input prompt ">>>", and (2) it's impossible to tell if the
> inferior process is busy by looking at the relative position of the
> point and prompt.

Yes, that's pretty annoying.  I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate
it if this was fixed.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no