Subject: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly instead of using temporary files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 20:48:21 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:37:41 +0200
> Cc: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>,
>  Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> 
> Okay then. Since there seem to be no better alternatives, I have
> attached a new patch reducing the limit to a hard-coded 1024 bytes.  If
> some day someone adds a variable specifying a more precise limit, then
> we can change this.

I thought the conclusion was that we do know the limits, but they are
different on different OSes?  If so, why not use the correct limit for
each OS, instead of using the most strict limit?  The underlying OS is
available in system-type.

> -    (if (<= (string-bytes code) 4096)
> +    (if (<= (string-bytes code) 1024)

In any case, IMO this should be a defconst with a suitable doc string,
so that we'd have this stuff documented for posterity.

Thanks.