Subject: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly instead of using temporary files

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 18:08:43 +0200

On Mon,  6 Sep 2021 at 14:00, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Neither has PIPE_BUF.
>
> Great that you always say what's not working. Perhaps you have a better
> answer to Augusto?
>
>> Andreas.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Thanks for the ideas.  If there's no simple and platform-independent
way to obtain the line length limit in a PTY, then I think there's no
reason to attempt anything fancy in python.el (or any derived comint
mode, for that matter).

So the options seem to be: either hard-code a limit of 1024 chars, or
create a defcustom with a platform-dependent default.  But such a
defcustom should probably be part of comint.el, and should be added by
someone who (unlike me) actually understands this stuff.

Working around a limit of less than 1024 characters is too awkward, so I
hope this is a safe assumption.  The juggling of temp files that existed
in python.el for many years already required lines of ~350 chars,
depending on how the OS names temp files.

Sorry for introducing a bug in master.  I think I got it fixed here, and
I'll submit the patch when I'm confident about it.