Subject: bug#4982: rgrep can't deal with .gz files

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:07:08 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> rgrep should be enhanced so if it encounters .gz files
>> it knows what to do.
>
> This would be tricky to implement.  When searching in .gz files
> we have to rely on zgrep (that has its own problems - it doesn't
> highlight grep matches).

traverselisp.el handle compressed archives using avfs.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/traverselisp.el
You can launch traverse-deep-rfind (similar to rgrep) on any archive.(tar)gz.

You could use also avfs to handle .gz files with rgrep.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf/
 
> I suggest creating a new command (say, `zrgrep') as a wrapper for `zgrep'
> and with UI like `rgrep'.

-- 
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France