Subject: Re: bug#4981: C-l during query-replace

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:07:45 +0200

>> Thanks for fixing this.  Are you sure that the new `recenter-positions'
>> is needed?  Given that there are 3 choices, it's easy to cycle through
>> them, so adding yet another defcustom that would be use by a very small
>> number of users does not seem justified (IMHO).
>
> I agree that it's overengineering.

I think what is overengineering is adding recenter-top-bottom
in the first place.  It imposes the arbitrary fixed cycling order
on users with no hope to customize such fundamental feature as
recentering.  `recenter-positions' mitigates this problem in the true
Emacs way as the *customizable* editor.

Please also note that even a minor feature `next-error' allows a similar
customization with `next-error-recenter'.  Perhaps we should try to merge
them, or at least provide a new option in `next-error-recenter' to use the
first value of `recenter-positions' as the primary position the user
prefers to put point after recentering.

> This patch is only acceptable if (to compensate) it unifies the two
> duplicate code paths of move-to-window-line-top-bottom and
> recenter-top-bottom.

Do you mean we should merge move-to-window-line-top-bottom and
recenter-top-bottom into one function?

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/