Subject: bug#49808: 27.1; ediff assumes user's language is English

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:58:08 +0200

Matthieu Dubuget <[email-masked]> writes:

> When using Ediff with a non-English locale, errors returned by diff are
> not recognized by Ediff.
>
> When diff outputs a localized version of "\ No newline at end of file",
> ediff do not recognize it and fails to display the differences.
>
> See https://stackoverflow.com/q/9242651/3407924
> and this post for a clear explanation of the problem:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/9244759/3407924

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Do you have a recipe to reproduce this problem, starting from "emacs
-Q"?

I tried starting Emacs with

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 emacs -Q

and then using ediff, but I was unable to reproduce the problem