Subject: Re: bug#49776: 28.0.50; Incorrect username completion results reported by `read-file-name-interal`

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 13:47:23 +0200

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> `(all-completions "~/.config/~man" #'read-file-name-internal)` returns
> the list `("/.config/~man")`. The file completion table incorrectly
> recognizes "/.config/~man" as the username instead of only "~man".

I'm unable to reproduce this problem, and you haven't used `M-x
report-emacs-bug', so I don't know what system you're seeing this on.
I'm getting the expected on Debian/bullseye:

(all-completions "~/.config/~man" #'read-file-name-internal)
=> (#("/.config/~man/" 0 13 (face completions-common-part)))

That is, it's expanding ~man to ~man/ since it interprets that bit as a
user name.

And, of course:

(all-completions "~/.config/~man/" #'read-file-name-internal)
=> ("tr/" "zh/" "CACHEDIR.TAG" "de/" "ru/" "ro/" "cat3/" "it/" "pt/" "./" "cat7/" "zh_TW/" "sr/" "fr.ISO8859-1/" "hr/" "cat6/" "fi/" "ja/" "index.db" "cat1/" "cat2/" "cat5/" "cat8/" "vi/" "ko/" "nl/" "uk/" "sl/" "../" "zh_CN/" "id/" "hu/" "da/" "sv/" "es/" "fr.UTF-8/" "pt_BR/" "cs/" "pl/" "sk/" "cat4/" "fr/")

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no