Subject: Re: bug#49761: file-cache-minibuffer-complete has become unusable for duplicate file names in MacOSX 27.x emacs

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:55:29 +0300

> Thanks for any assistance you can provide!!

It would be nice to have a minimal reproducible test case.
What I've tried is to create a minimal set of files with:

  mkdir -p /tmp/a/ ; touch /tmp/a/Procfile /tmp/a/dashboard.rb
  mkdir -p /tmp/b/ ; touch /tmp/b/Procfile /tmp/b/dashboard.rb
  mkdir -p /tmp/c/ ; touch /tmp/c/Procfile /tmp/c/dashboard.rb

Then after adding them to the cache with:

  (file-cache-add-directory-list '("/tmp/a" "/tmp/b" "/tmp/c"))

typing 'C-x C-f d C-TAB' cycles them correctly:

  Find file: /tmp/c/dashboard.rb [1 of 3]
  Find file: /tmp/b/dashboard.rb [2 of 3]
  Find file: /tmp/a/dashboard.rb [3 of 3]

The same for 'C-x C-f P C-TAB' that cycles the files
without file extensions correctly as well:

  Find file: /tmp/c/Procfile [1 of 3]
  Find file: /tmp/b/Procfile [2 of 3]
  Find file: /tmp/a/Procfile [3 of 3]

This works in the development version 28.0.50 without
any significant changes in filecache.el for a long time.

Do you see the same problems when running emacs with -Q
without customization?