Subject: bug#49761: file-cache-minibuffer-complete has become unusable for duplicate file names in MacOSX 27.x emacs

From: Aaron Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:22:12 -0700

In previous versions of emacs for the last decade, `
file-cache-minibuffer-complete` (C-Tab) worked well for me.

But in the MacOSX 27.x emacs series, it ceased to be able to handle
duplicate file names with extensions.  (It could never handle duplicate
file names with no extension, but that never bothered me much, as the only
files without extensions I need to visit are the Procfile and Gemfile in
the root of the project trees, which are easy to find manually.)

For example, I usually have around 5 projects in my file cache, and
currently across those 5 projects there are 8 files named `dashboard.rb`.

Previously, as soon as I'd gotten C-Tab to complete the file name to
`dashboard.rb`, continuing to hit C-Tab would cycle through the 8 files in
their various directories.

But starting in the 27.x series, C-Tab gets "stuck" on the first file
named `dashboard.rb`, and refuses to cycle through the remaining files with
that name.  (And again, this is always the behavior it has exhibited for
files without extensions: it gets stuck on the first instance, refusing to
cycle through additional instances.)

Also, perhaps relevantly, the behavior of the point while hitting C-Tab
repeatedly on an incomplete file name changed in version 27: it now jumps
to the beginning of the file name while the name is partially complete.
 (In previous versions, it would remain at the end of incomplete file
names, or wherever I'd moved it to in the minibuffer.)

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!!