Subject: bug#49738: 26.1; error loading packages

From: Wensheng Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:22:04 +0800

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "https://melpa.org/packages/archive-contents" "Bad Request")
  signal(file-error ("https://melpa.org/packages/archive-contents" "Bad Request"))
  package--download-one-archive(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") "archive-contents" nil)
  package--download-and-read-archives(nil)
  package-refresh-contents()
  (if (package-installed-p 'use-package) nil (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'use-package))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*-944367> nil "/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 703
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.el" "/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.el" nil nil)
  load("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.el" nil nil t)
  load-file("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.el")
  org-babel-load-file("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init-emacs.org")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1015
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init.el" "/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init.el" t t)
  load("/home/wxie/.emacs.d/init" t t)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1dda91>)()
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

I have the following code in my init file:

```
  (require 'package)
  (setq package-enable-at-startup nil)
  (setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
  (add-to-list 'package-archives
               ;; '("marmalade" . "https://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")
               ;; '("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
               '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
               ;; '("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/") t)

  (if (version< emacs-version "27.1")
      (package-initialize))

  (unless (package-installed-p 'use-package)
    (package-refresh-contents)
    (package-install 'use-package))

  (eval-when-compile
    (require 'use-package))
  
  (require 'bind-key)

  (setq use-package-verbose t)
```

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2021-01-31, modified by Debian built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
Composing main Info directory...done
user-error: Info file emacs does not exist
Auto-saving...done
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer
user-error: Point neither on reference nor in menu item description
user-error: Info file emacs does not exist
Mark set
next-line: End of buffer
Saved text from "Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-erro"

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-9Yet8u/emacs-26.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(magit-utils crm subr-x dash pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail
cl-print debug mm-archive network-stream starttls url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap elec-pair cl-extra
help-mode org-indent image-file org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired dired-loaddefs org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m org-element avl-tree generator org advice org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf info
package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date
mule-util china-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 362265 27587)
 (symbols 48 38562 0)
 (miscs 40 121 314)
 (strings 32 123668 7090)
 (string-bytes 1 3353948)
 (vectors 16 37824)
 (vector-slots 8 843783 15116)
 (floats 8 218 591)
 (intervals 56 1028 902)
 (buffers 992 19))