Subject: bug#4973: 23.1.50; Please provide access to Emacs's quick reference cards on the Help menu

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:52:10 -0800

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> In 2007, at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/65537/focus=65629
>>> , dak wrote:
>>>
>>>> Maybe we should link to [the Emacs quick reference card] in some
>>>> manner, like offering to call
>>>> (shell-command
>>>>   (format (mailcap-mime-info "application/postscript")
>>>>      (expand-file-name "refcard.ps" data-directory)))
>>>
>>> That's an excellent idea.  You should make the many quick reference
>>> cards that you ship in emacs/etc/refcards accessible on the Help menu.
>>> Could you please do that?
>>
>> Actually a bad idea as we concluded in
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/65537/focus=105365
>
>
> I can't see that we concluded that. Rather we had different arguments.
> And things are changing.

It's been 11 years here without any progress.

It seems extremely simple to add the reference cards to the help menu,
should we want to do it.  So I assume there just isn't much enthusiasm
for the idea, and I tend to agree: I don't see that it's very useful or
necessary to make the help menu longer for this.

I'd be inclined to close this as wontfix.  Any other opinions?