Subject: bug#49724: closed (Re: bug#49724: 27.2; Tramp /sudoedit:: does not preserve file security context)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#49724: 27.2; Tramp /sudoedit:: does not preserve file security context

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49724: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49724
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49724: 27.2; Tramp /sudoedit:: does not preserve file security context
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 12:02:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 28.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

>> I'm currently using 27.2 from the distribution, haven't tested it myself yet.
>> Thanks for such swift fixes, this is awesome.
>> I will compile the the latest branch to help testing.
>
> If you have problems in compiling Emacs, you might use Tramp 2.5.1.1
> from GNU ELPA, which has been released meanwhile. It contains the patch.

No further comment, so I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 27.2; Tramp /sudoedit:: does not preserve file security context
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:47:20 +0200 (CEST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The command: ls -Z /etc/fstab
Outputs: unconfined_u:object_r:etc_t:s0 /etc/fstab
On an unmodified fstab file. If I modify the file using 'sudoedit'
command, which uses GNU Nano on this system, preserves the same extended
file attributes. However, after using emacs -Q:
C-x C-f /sudoedit::/etc/fstab
<any file modification>
C-x C-s
The command: ls -Z /etc/fstab
Outputs: unconfined_u:object_r:user_tmp_t:s0 /etc/fstab
Which will prevent system from booting.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.29, cairo version 1.17.4)
of 2021-06-14 built on buildvm-x86-32.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Thirty Four)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
current-kill: Kill ring is empty [2 times]
gui-get-primary-selection: No selection is available

Configured using:
'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
--with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
-flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44393 10632)
(symbols 48 6007 1)
(strings 32 15439 2231)
(string-bytes 1 504347)
(vectors 16 9300)
(vector-slots 8 125174 13110)
(floats 8 19 45)
(intervals 56 261 0)
(buffers 1000 11))