Subject: bug#49723: 28.0.50; Test in coding.c for NUL bytes in filenames is not reliable

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:51:47 +0200

Federico Tedin <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Federico,

> Would this imply only doing it in `tramp-handle-expand-file-name`, or
> other functions as well?
>
> I had thought of doing it for at least `tramp-handle-expand-file-name`,
> but then I noticed that the function eventually calls `expand-file-name`
> with a combination of name + dir, or only with name. So in that case I
> figured that the null bytes check would be performed by
> `expand-file-name` anyways.

I haven't checked yet what's needed. However, there are several
incarnations of `expand-file-name' implementation in Tramp, namely

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
grep --color=auto -nH --null -E 'defun.+handle-expand-file-name' *.el
tramp.el3393:(defun tramp-handle-expand-file-name (name &optional dir)
tramp-gvfs.el1137:(defun tramp-gvfs-handle-expand-file-name (name &optional dir)
tramp-sh.el2683:(defun tramp-sh-handle-expand-file-name (name &optional dir)
tramp-smb.el736:(defun tramp-smb-handle-expand-file-name (name &optional dir)
tramp-sudoedit.el346:(defun tramp-sudoedit-handle-expand-file-name (name &optional dir)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.