Subject: bug#49721: closed (Re: bug#49721: NAME flag incorrectly set)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#49721: NAME flag incorrectly set

which was filed against the gzip package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49721: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49721
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49721: NAME flag incorrectly set
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 08:29:32 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 7/25/21 8:24 AM, Lee Shallis wrote:
> I just noticed my misunderstanding, seems because I forgot to read the
> compression byte as a compression byte, it got read as the flags byte,
> so I was off by a byte when reading the flags without realising.

Thanks for following up. Closing the bug report.

Subject: NAME flag incorrectly set
From: Lee Shallis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:14:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've been following a guide on the deflate algorithm (because I wanted
one where I could control how memory is allocated just as Lua allows)
and found when I put this:

echo "hello hello hello hello" | gzip

into the terminal gzip incorrectly set the NAME flag, it was only
after editing it out I was able to deflate the resulting file, the
same applies for this:

echo -n "abaabbbabaababbaababaaaabaaabbbbbaa" | gzip

Both of which are the examples given on
https://blog.za3k.com/understanding-gzip-2/