Subject: bug#49719: closed (Re: bug#49719: 27.2; make-manuals fails)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 18:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#49719: 27.2; make-manuals fails

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49719: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49719
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49719: 27.2; make-manuals fails
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 21:18:35 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:21:17 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I will wait for a day or two for someone to volunteer; failing that I
> > will remove most or all of the "fixes" from the script, so that it
> > works with the latest Texinfo, and so I could again refresh our
> > on-line documentation when needed.
> 
> Removing the "fixes" is fine by me.

I eventually went with the minimal change: the function that fails due
to changes in how Texinfo 6.8 produces HTML was modified to skip the
problematic step of rewriting the TOC menu as a table (something that
wasn't possible to keep, because some of the information used for the
table is no longer there in the new HTML).  The rest of the "fixes" I
kept.

With that, I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 27.2; make-manuals fails
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:32:05 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With the current emacs-27 branch of the Emacs repository, the
'make-manuals' script fails:

  eliz@fencepost:~/git/emacs/pretest$ ./admin/make-manuals
  Making manuals (slow)...
  Search failed: "<ul>"
  make-manuals: error running make-manuals

The error message doesn't help to understand in which file did the
search fail.

This could be due to using Texinfo 6.8: maybe the format of the
produced HTML have changed?

Let me know what other information I can provide to help resolve
this.  TIA.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 2, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-25 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Recent messages:
Saving file d:/gnu/git/emacs/branch/doc/emacs/book-spine.texi...
Wrote d:/gnu/git/emacs/branch/doc/emacs/book-spine.texi
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
Auto-saving...done
Saving file d:/gnu/git/emacs/branch/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG...
Wrote d:/gnu/git/emacs/branch/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG
Mark set
Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Quit
Mark saved where search started [3 times]

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int 'CFLAGS=-O2 -gdwarf-4
 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
d:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-inspect hides d:/usr/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
d:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client hides d:/usr/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow emacsbug lao-util descr-text ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
mule-diag apropos eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok sh-script
executable rx org-element avl-tree ol-eww eww mm-url url-queue
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader ol-docview doc-view image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode repeat help-fns
radix-tree ebuff-menu skeleton rmailout dabbrev rfc2104 gnutls
network-stream nsm mail-extr smtpmail mailalias sendmail pulse
thingatpt etags fileloop generator misearch multi-isearch shell
pcomplete cl-extra help-mode cc-awk conf-mode jka-compr vc-dispatcher
vc-bzr bat-mode rst compile noutline outline make-mode gud octave smie
comint ansi-color texinfo flyspell add-log mule-util info rmailsum
shr-color color shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source json map url-vars svg xml dom browse-url qp rmailmm
message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search seq mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils vc-cvs time-date subr-x vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
bug-reference desktop frameset server find-lisp dired dired-loaddefs
filecache mairix cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit saveplace
midnight ispell derived generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs paren
xref cl-seq project ring eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib battery time
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 6493449 666594)
 (symbols 48 38544 84)
 (strings 16 297360 30618)
 (string-bytes 1 8745813)
 (vectors 16 91305)
 (vector-slots 8 2087017 575530)
 (floats 8 455 854)
 (intervals 40 1445288 4093)
 (buffers 888 408))