Subject: bug#4971: 23.1.50; read-passwd breaks GTK menu and tool-bar

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:04:45 +0800

emacs -Q
M-x fundamental-mode
M-: (read-passwd "Test: ")

At this point, the menu bar disappears and the tool bar is emptied
(in Lisp Interaction mode, the Lisp Interaction menu is left behind
and the bug is not triggered)

enter a password

the tool-bar icons come back but the menu does not.  Clicking on any
icon in the tool-bar causes Emacs to lock up.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-18 on wanchan.jasonrumney.net
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> y SPC <down> SPC B m e m <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <tab> <tab> E m <tab> d e <tab> <return> 
<up> SPC c y u g j I N <tab> <return> u <up> SPC <return> 
<down> <down> <down> SPC <up> SPC <up> SPC <down> SPC 
<up> <up> SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> SPC <down> 
SPC <down> SPC <down> SPC <down> SPC <down> SPC <down> 
<up> d <up> <down> <delete> B <delete> y e s <return> 
g <up> SPC q <escape> x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Generating summary...done
No more unread articles [2 times]
No more articles
Expiring articles in INBOX
gnus-agent-expire: Loading overview... Done
gnus-agent-expire: Sorting entries... Done
gnus-agent-expire: Merging entries... Done
Expiry recovered 1 NOV entries, deleted 0 files, and freed 276.000000 B.
No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
No more unread newsgroups

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug flow-fill gnus-dup help-mode view gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg sort byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile gnus-ml disp-table utf-7 utf7 nndraft nnmh auth-source
starttls nnimap imap gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
qp ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash gnus-win jka-compr paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time cua-base cus-start
cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting system-font-setting
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)