Subject: Emacs 23.1-gtk+ hangs Xwindows

From: Duncan Mercer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:51:03 +1100

I have just instaled ubuntu (karmic koala), which comes with emacs23.1-gtk+
and I have found the emacs can hang the whole of my Xwindows.

I am using this new version of emacs with my default .emacs configuration file
which I have used for a number of years.

The problem arises when I have the configuration parameter
(blink-cursor-mode -1) set in my .emacs file. If I attempt to resize an
emacs window when B.C.M set to -1 (or 0) then emacs will hang X windows.
Nothing functions. The only way I can regain control is to use
<CTRL><ALT>F1 to get to a console prompt, 'killall emacs' and then
swap back to Xwindows. If instead I set blink-cursor-mode to 1 then
everything behaves as I'd expect it to.

Also get a similar behaviour  if I use the menu to disable the blinking cursor
(deselect Menu->Options->Blinking Cursor) .
Only this time I have to resize the window twice before it hangs X windows.

Best regards
Duncan

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-11 on vernadsky, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu'
'--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/leim'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-cwarn-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs> <help-echo>
C-l C-x k <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs> <help-echo>
<help-echo> M-x r e p o <tab> <down> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e
p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/djlm/.emacs_cfg/cpp/cpp_parse_function.el (source)...done
Loading /home/djlm/.emacs_cfg/cpp/cpp_init.el (source)...done
Loading /home/djlm/.emacs_cfg/taskjug.el (source)...done
Loading `~/.emacs_cfg/shell-command': old-style backquotes detected!
Loading /home/djlm/.emacs_cfg/init.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-svn...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]
Making completion list...
/usr/bin/mail is not an executable.  Setting mail-interactive to t.

-- 
Dr Duncan Mercer
Australian Centre for Field Robotics
The Rose Street Building, J04
The University of Sydney.
2006 NSW, Australia
Tel:  +61 (0) 2 9036 7178
Fax: +61 (0) 2 9351 7474