Subject: bug#4968: Emacs 23.1-gtk+ hangs Xwindows

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:37:02 +0100

Duncan Mercer skrev:
> I have just instaled ubuntu (karmic koala), which comes with emacs23.1-gtk+
> and I have found the emacs can hang the whole of my Xwindows.

"Xwindows" doesn't really exist :-):

" The  X.Org  Foundation  requests  that the following names be used when
        referring to this software:

                                           X
                                    X Window System
                                     X Version 11
                              X Window System, Version 11
                                          X11
"

But anycase, it sounds a lot like 
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392889. You have to scroll down a 
bit, initially it was about something else.

Also, there are known issues with Emacs 23.1 and Gtk+ 2.18, but this sounds 
extreme.

Are you sure it is X that locks up?  Can it be the window manager that grabs 
the mouse and keyboard?  To check, go to a console prompt and do
% xterm -display :0

If it produces a window, X isn't really hung.

What window manager are you running?  Can you try Emacs CVS and see if it works?

	Jan D.