Subject: 28.0.50; minibuffer-quit produces error

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:23:45 +0530

Note: this error does not occur with default configuration i.e. with
‘emacs -Q’. But this was not happening before the recent minibuffer
changes. So I’ll try to isolate the cause. Here is a dump:

‘minibuffer-quit’ produces this (or similar) error whenever I change my
mind and press ‘C-g’ before entering any text into the minibuffer
prompt. I have tried this at a couple of places. Simplest is this
one. Press ‘M-x’ and then press ‘C-g’ without entering any text on the
minibuffer prompt.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (minibuffer-quit)
  signal(minibuffer-quit nil)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1f410848d1c3>)()
  read-from-minibuffer("M-x " nil (keymap (10 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) (13 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (tab menu-item "Complete" minibuffer-complete :help "Complete as far as possible") (space menu-item "Complete Word" minibuffer-complete-word :help "Complete at most one word") (63 menu-item "List Completions" minibuffer-completion-help :help "Display all possible completions") "Minibuf")) (27 keymap (103 keymap (27 keymap (99 . switch-to-completions))) (118 . switch-to-completions)) (prior . switch-to-completions) (63 . minibuffer-completion-help) (32 . minibuffer-complete-word) (9 . minibuffer-complete) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (previous menu-item "Previous History Item" previous-history-element :help "Put previous minibuffer history element in the min...") (next menu-item "Next History Item" next-history-element :help "Put next minibuffer history element in the minibuf...") (isearch-backward menu-item "Isearch History Backward" isearch-backward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history backward") (isearch-forward menu-item "Isearch History Forward" isearch-forward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history forward") (return menu-item "Enter" exit-minibuffer :key-sequence "\15" :help "Terminate input and exit minibuffer") (quit menu-item "Quit" abort-recursive-edit :help "Abort input and exit minibuffer") "Minibuf")) (13 . exit-minibuffer) (10 . exit-minibuffer) (7 . abort-minibuffers) (C-tab . file-cache-minibuffer-complete) (9 . self-insert-command) (XF86Back . previous-history-element) (up . previous-line-or-history-element) (prior . previous-history-element) (XF86Forward . next-history-element) (down . next-line-or-history-element) (next . next-history-element) (27 keymap (60 . minibuffer-beginning-of-buffer) (114 . previous-matching-history-element) (115 . next-matching-history-element) (112 . previous-history-element) (110 . next-history-element))) nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read-default("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x71b81ea0d409ed9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0xcffb262d34b1d6a>) t nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x71b81ea0d409ed9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0xcffb262d34b1d6a>) t nil extended-command-history)
  read-extended-command()
  byte-code("\302\30\11\303 \10E)\207" [execute-extended-command--last-typed current-prefix-arg nil read-extended-command] 3)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.5.0, NS appkit-2022.50 Version 11.4 (Build 20F71))
 of 2021-07-21 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: 1b251ed4e8550c889d17fe7d88f58aa2fbc95fe0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.4

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210712.1626/transient hides /Users/pankaj/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug flow-fill magit-utils help-fns radix-tree cl-print
apropos bookmark mm-archive mailalias smtpmail flyspell ispell sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml hl-line
disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder epa-file
gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache .gnus diary-lib diary-loaddefs mhtml-mode
css-mode smie color sgml-mode facemenu vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company eglot array
jsonrpc ert pp ewoc debug backtrace xref flymake-proc flymake warnings
project js elec-pair display-line-numbers autorevert filenotify vc-git
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-plantuml ob-sql ob-css ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs ob-python python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete ls-lisp ob-R ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec init server savehist desktop frameset
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes direnv diff-mode easy-mmode dash
po-mode sesman vc vc-dispatcher edmacro kmacro clojure-mode lisp-mnt
align imenu rust-utils thingatpt rust-mode rx rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile compile comint ansi-color ring rust-cargo delight hideshow
use-package-delight tex texmathp use-package-ensure use-package-core
ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
cl-extra help-mode speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs timezone avoid paren cus-load finder-inf
tex-site info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 834791 62102)
 (symbols 48 45635 20)
 (strings 32 193590 14296)
 (string-bytes 1 6019968)
 (vectors 16 79915)
 (vector-slots 8 1242352 135317)
 (floats 8 491 501)
 (intervals 56 3445 767)
 (buffers 992 53))

-- 
Regards ~Pankaj