Subject: bug#49665: 28.0.50; Failing autorevert tests on Cygwin

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:37:16 +0200

Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Ken,

> Some of the autorevert tests fail on Cygwin.  The precise tests that
> fail aren't the same in every run, but here's the result of the most
> recent run on my 64-bit Cygwin system:

[...]

> I'm not interested in spending a lot of time on this (or asking anyone
> else to spend time on it), because I've never seen a Cygwin user
> complain about auto-revert mode.  (Maybe no one uses it because it's
> slow.)  But I would like to stop seeing the test failures.
>
> Here's one possibility: Skip test02 and test05 on Cygwin, with a FIXME
> comment indicating that they've been failing for a long time and we
> don't know why.  Tag test00, test01, and test03 as expensive on Cygwin,
> since we would have to make the tests much slower in order for them to
> pass.  I'm not sure about test07.
>
> Other suggestions?

We have the tag :unstable for such tests. You might tag all tests you're
not interested in. Something like this after the docstring:

     :tags (when (eq system-type 'cygwin) '(:unstable))

Perhaps also a comment.

If you could provide me a recent Emacs 28 for cygwin, I could try to
check what's up.

> Thanks.
> Ken

Best regards, Michael.