Subject: Re: bug#49654: [PATCH] doc: Add full disc encryption guide to the cookbook

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:17:06 +0200

Hi Joshua and all,

[email-masked] skribis:

> July 21, 2021 6:50 PM, "Sarah Morgensen" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Joshua, Raghav,
>> 
>> Good to see more guides like this. In addition to what others have
>> already pointed out, I've got few readability suggestions, reading this as a
>> layperson :) (Questions are intentended to be rhetorical, to illustrate
>> where a layperson might have questions or be confused.)
>  
> Thanks so much for you proof-reading!  I'll update and push a new patch!
>  
>> Also, consider referencing relevant sections of the manual, such as
>> 
>> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Manual-Installation.html
>> 
>> so users know where to find more detailed information.
>  
> That is an awesome idea!  I will do so!

My main question would be: what do you think is not covered in the
“Manual Installation” section?

That section covers full disk encryption and other things you propose,
such as partitioning, downloading the ISO, authenticating it, changing
the keyboard layout, etc.

>From a maintenance perspective, it does not seem reasonable to maintain
to similar pieces of documentation on these matters.  From a user
perspective, it could be confusing or downright deceiving if one of
these two documents is out of date or erroneous.

All in all, for the topic we’re discussing, I’d suggest consolidating
existing material instead of writing new material.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.