Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Load wireless regulatory database in kernel

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:29:57 +0100

Hi Brice,

Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Following Tobias corrections, I've extended the previous patch to correctly
> enable loading of the wireless regulatory database ('regulatory.db') used by
> the kernel subsystem cfg80211, for linux >4.14.  As suggested by Ludo, we now
> build 'regulatory.db' ourselve to make sure it's reproducible and reuse
> upstream signature.  That way the linux kernel correctly load the wireless
> regulatory database at boot which allows us to use a regulatory domain
> different than the "00" default by using a kernel argument such as
> “cfg80211.ieee80211_regdom=FR“.

Does that mean it’s up to users to add such an argument to
‘kernel-arguments’?  If so, we should probably document it (though
that’s not a blocker for this series.)

> This patch doesn't change anything for kernels older than 4.15 for which the
> use of CRDA is needed to load the regulatory database through the
> 'regulatory.bin' file.  IOW the database used by CRDA, is still unsigned and
> CRDA doesn't check signatures for it.

Sounds good.

I haven’t actually tested it but the patch series LGTM!  It’s a much
welcome improvement.

> Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49611.

Make sure to add this line in the commit log of patch #2.

Thank you!

Ludo'.