Subject: Re: [bug#49649] [PATCH] gnu: Add regulatory.db in %base-firmware.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 23:56:40 +0200

[Terse reply whilst travelling, but this stuff is extremely important to 
get right.]

Brice, Ludo',

Ludo's suggestion to leverage reproducibility sounds promising!

On 2021-07-20 23:02, Brice Waegeneire wrote:
> We can either, bake the DB into the kernel at build time

This hasn't been supported since 2015 (Linux ~4.14).

> I don't know how zelously we want to comply to radio frenquency
> regulation

Utterly.  Like our future software freedom depends on it.

Luckily, the kernel falls back to a copy of the world regulatory domain, 
the "00" that every Guix System user has been using forever.

> by being sure our wireless devices don't emit on restricted
> frenquecy between the kernel being loaded and userland (crda) setting
> the correct region.

CRDA is obsolete and only for use with the same legacy kernels.

> If we want to be sure such spourious emssions can't
> happen we need to fix the loading of 'regulatory.db' by the kernel

That's not true.  The whole point of the world regulatory domain is to 
be the subset of all other regdb entries.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.