Subject: 28.0.50; Installing a package: Garbage in the popup

From: [email-masked] (Harald Jörg)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 18:57:23 +0000

Severity: minor

>From emacs -Q:

1) M-x list-packages
2) select any package (in my case: eglot)
3) click "install"

The popup "Install package eglot-1.7" has garbage characters before
"eglot" and after "1.7".  Screenshot attached.

Package installation works, so this is just a minor optical flaw.

Emacs didn't crash.

Emacs has been built from the repository with "make bootstrap" on Debian
buster.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2021-07-02 built on hajtower
Repository revision: 1b88404acc4b6399b617dac2b14f1eaa78135670
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured features:
GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
mail-extr emacsbug sendmail noutline outline python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec eglot array jsonrpc flymake-proc
flymake autoload tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode lisp-mnt mm-archive
message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache
url-auth finder-inf package let-alist edmacro kmacro epg epg-config
display-line-numbers flyspell ispell vc-annotate vc-dir vc-filewise
cus-theme eieio-custom xwidget url-handlers image-mode dired
dired-loaddefs exif browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source password-cache json map url-vars mailcap bookmark wid-browse
log-view pcvs-util vc time cus-edit ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
texinfo texinfo-loaddefs re-builder pcmpl-unix warnings compile ert-x
ert pp ewoc pcase mule-util debug cl-print edebug backtrace face-remap
display-fill-column-indicator apropos eieio-opt cl-extra speedbar
ezimage dframe find-func shortdoc text-property-search help-fns
radix-tree help-mode add-log cus-start cus-load shell pcomplete comint
info man ansi-color etags fileloop generator xref cl-seq project eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs ring misearch multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher bug-reference thingatpt cperl-mode rx facemenu time-date
subr-x linum perl-mode which-func imenu easy-mmode regex-tool cl-macs
derived cl font-lock-studio seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
hl-line recentf tree-widget wid-edit autorevert filenotify cl-loaddefs
cl-lib paren iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 733225 140848)
 (symbols 48 24193 6)
 (strings 32 96991 2891)
 (string-bytes 1 2854841)
 (vectors 16 57325)
 (vector-slots 8 1385509 100047)
 (floats 8 402 366)
 (intervals 56 44020 1318)
 (buffers 992 37))