Subject: Make stuck at tramp tests

From: PEDRO ANDRES ARANDA GUTIERREZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:12:37 +0200

Hi,

I'm once again seeing that make gets stuck on the tramp-tests. Here is the
info I could gather:

The system:

student@emacs28:~/emacs$ uname -a
Linux emacs28 5.4.0-77-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 17 02:35:03 UTC 2021
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The git commit

git log -1
commit 13b247c3c48a3e8b64ece8d4014c484473c8e362 (grafted, HEAD -> master,
origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: Basil L. Contovounesios <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Jul 18 23:06:45 2021 +0100

    ; Fix omission in last change to custom.texi.

Then found the test where make is stuck

ps -ef
...
student    53125   53124  0 06:59 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/make -j2 -C
test
student    53131   53125  0 06:59 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/make
check-doit SELECTOR=(not (or (tag :expensive-tes
student    53134   53131  0 06:59 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/make -k
lisp/net/tramp-tests.log lib-src/emacsclient-
student    54305   53134  0 07:00 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash -c echo "
 GEN     " lisp/net/tramp-tests.log;HOME=/
student    54306   54305  0 07:00 pts/0    00:00:18 ../src/emacs
--module-assertions --no-init-file --no-site-file

Then checked what was being expected and why it got stuck

student@emacs28:~/emacs$ find . -name tramp-tests.log -exec tail -f {} \;
  skipped  33/50  tramp-test24-file-acl (0.000549 sec)
  skipped  34/50  tramp-test25-file-selinux (0.122751 sec)
   passed  35/50  tramp-test26-file-name-completion (1.488384 sec)
   passed  36/50  tramp-test27-load (0.809736 sec)
   passed  37/50  tramp-test33-environment-variables-and-port-numbers
(0.390958 sec)
   passed  38/50  tramp-test35-exec-path (0.793063 sec)
   passed  39/50  tramp-test35-remote-path (2.740986 sec)
   passed  40/50  tramp-test37-make-auto-save-file-name (0.466371 sec)
   passed  41/50  tramp-test38-find-backup-file-name (0.515859 sec)
Autosave file on local temporary directory, do you want to continue? (yes
or no)
-- 

Then answered 'yes' on the terminal where emacs was being built and got the
whole thing compiled.

Best, /PA
---
PEDRO ANDRES ARANDA GUTIERREZ
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

"Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden.
Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler